Michael D. Sechrest Attorney in Gainesville Fl
Gainesville Personal Injury Attorney
Michael Sechrest is a civil trial attorney in gainesville FL. He was recently selected by SuperLawyers as a civil litigation super lawyer, which is a designation reserved for only 5% of attorneys in the State of Florida. He is also board certified by the Florida Bar, which is a recognition as an expert in his field. He has handled hundreds of cases, trials and arbitrations throughout Florida and many other states in both state and federal courts. Mr. Sechrest’s practice areas include personal injury, business/construction litigation, and products liability. He has also handled a variety of other cases and trials including medical malpractice and casualty cases.
Some notable achievements include:
- Chief Justice’s pro Bono service award (firm award): Multimillion dollar recovery in professional negligence case against large engineering corporation;
- 20 million dollar claim in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee: Jury trial in wrongful death electrocution case resulting in large recovery on behalf of children/survivors; jury trial in Levy County, Florida arising out of catastrophic automobile accident.
- Successful pro Bono trial on behalf of mentally and physically disabled single father for unfair and deceptive trade Practices by unlicensed contractors.
- Jury trial representing young catastrophically injured worker on a road construction project.
- Jury trial in large complex construction case recovering one hundred percent of claims including delay damages: Successful jury trial against large developer for extra work claims representing road contractor.
- Medical malpractice jury trial in Alachua County, Florida.
- Successful recovery in federal court against Wall Street firm arising out of invasion of privacy claims; dozens of trials and arbitrations for business and construction claims both plaintiff and defense.
- Served as arbitrator on a multi arbitrator panel for complex business dispute.
- Multiple appeals in Florida District Courts/Supreme Court of Florida.
In addition to injured Plaintiffs, Michael has spent much of his professional career representing engineers, architects, owners, contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, lenders and sureties in various litigation and matters involving issues such as lien and bond claims, design and construction defects, differing site conditions, delay, scheduling, and acceleration claims. Mr. Sechrest is Board Certified in Construction Law in the State of Florida. Board certified attorneys are recognized by the Florida Bar as being experts and the designation is only awarded upon peer review, testing, and experience and specific educational requirements.
Michael acquired his Bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida in 1995 where he graduated with honors in a dual major program. He graduated from the University of Florida College of Law in 1998 and he has since been a guest lecturer at the University of Florida College of Law and Rinker College of Building Construction. He has significant experience with arbitrations, trials and appeals in a variety of forums. He also handles OSHA proceedings, bid protests and federal and bankruptcy claims involving construction. Mr. Sechrest is a member of the Florida Bar as well as the Florida Bar Construction Law Committee, the Florida Bar Trial Lawyers section, The United States District Court. Mr. Sechrest has handled several multimillion dollar claims in many different forums. He also handles OSHA proceedings, bid protests and federal and bankruptcy claims involving construction. Mr. Sechrest is a member of the Florida Bar Construction Law Committee, United States District Court — Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, US Court of Federal Claims, as well as various residential and commercial building associations.
Mr. Sechrest has developed a practice of taking large, complex construction claims and business claims on a contingency basis, even where other law firms would bill on an hourly basis or have rejected the case.